I spent a wonderful afternoon with the incomparable Jenny Brockie a couple of weeks ago. You would know that Jenny is the host of Insight - Tuesday night SBS. It is one of my favourite shows. If you watch the show you would also know Jenny has incredible style. You might not know that her shoe collection is so covetable I did find it hard not to grab them and run for the door.
1. Who are the designers you like?
Dries Van Noten is a favourite. Beautiful prints and textures, I probably wear his clothes more than any others in my wardrobe. I also like Sofie D’Hoore’s clean lines and use of block colours. I’ve been wearing Issey Miyake’s Pleats Please for years, so easy, the clothes travel well and never date. Locally, Pamela Easton has great fabrics and embellishments. And I'm a regular at Uniqlo!
2. What sort of clothes appeal to you?
Clean lines, quality fabrics and unusual colours. I'm also drawn to prints and some embellishments. Comfort is always important.
3. Do you have any style icons?
Phoebe Philo who used to design for Celine. She's such a brilliant designer and always looks effortlessly elegant. And my friend and former stylist at SBS Lesley Crawford. She has a great eye and exudes joy in the way she dresses.
4. How do you feel about getting older? I don't think about it too much. My mother stopped counting at about 50 and didn’t start again until she turned 90. She literally had to work it out when anyone asked her!
5. Do magazines or add campaigns talk to your generation? I enjoy flicking through some fashion magazines but I doubt they’ve ever really talked to me. I take what I want for them - a visual idea or a piece of information - but I don’t think I’ve ever connected with them in any meaningful way.
Share this Post