These Fishcake tacos with mango lime and cumin yoghurt is from the new Ottolenghi Simple cookbook, they are delightful.
Making tacos is a really easy and fun way to feed friends. You can prepare everything well in advance – the fishcake mixture ( uncooked ), the yogurt, the onion and mango pickle can all be made a day ahead and kept separate in the fridge – then just hop to the stove 5 minutes before everyone wants to eat, cook the fishcakes and heat the tacos. Reheat any leftovers the next day. The dish also works well without the tacos, if you want to eat with a knife and fork.
makes 12 tacos serving 4
450g plaice fillets ( or use a similar white fish) skin and pin bones removed, cut into 2-3 cm cunks
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and finely crushed in a pestle and mortar
4 limes: finely grate the zest all 4,then cut into wedges, to serve.
20g coriander leaves, finely chopped
120g Greek-style yoghurt
1/2 red onion, finely sliced (40g)
1/3 mango peeled and julienned ( 100g)
1 red chilli, deseeded and julienned (10g)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
12 corn or flour tortillas, 15cm wide warmed through
1. Place the fish, garlic and egg in the large bowl of a food processor with 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, three-quarters of the lime zest and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Blitz briefly, just until the fish forms a rough paste, then transfer to medium bowl. Add half the coriander, mis together the form into 12 rounds fishcakes, each weighing about 45g. Refrigerate for at least15 minutes ( and up to a day ahead ) to firm up.
2. Put the yoghurt, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, the remaining lime zest and 1/8 teaspoon of salt into a small bowl. Mix together and set aside
3. In a separate small bowl, combine the onion, mango and chilli and set said
4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and place on a medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the fishcakes in batches and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden-brown and cooked through. Transfer to a kitchen paper-lined plate.
5. Serve each taco warm, with one fishcake, cut in half, a spoonful of yogurt and mango mix. Finish with a sprinkle of the remaining coriander and a squeeze of lime.
Share this Post