Be a tourist at home explored the pretty bays of Hardy’s Bay, Wagstaffe and Killcare this Queen’s Birthday weekend.We were staying with friends at Pearl Beach and spent Sunday afternoon exploring the area.
The very fabulous Thai restaurant The Lucky Bee has just opened in Hardy’s Bay and was packed out on a sunny Sunday….you need to book. The local Wagstaffe Hall had an Artisian Show…featuring a our friend Syd Pemberton. The Killcare Surf Club is the best place to end the day with a crisp glass of white.
The history of Hardys Bay and the surrounding areas of Wagstaffe, Killcare and Pretty Beach are closely linked. Prior to the arrival of European Settlement, Aboriginals from the coastal Guringai (Ku-ring-gai) tribe lived in and around Hardys Bay area. Evidence is to be found today in rock carvings and middens found in numerous locations around the area.
On 6 June 1789 Governor Arthur Phillip sailed north and entered Broken Bay and explored the surrounding coastline The first recorded white settler was a Mr James Mullen (or Mullin) who was granted temporary occupation of 250 acres (1.0 km2) in 1824 for grazing and by the 1829 Census is recorded as having “50 acres (200,000 m2) of land, 10 acres (40,000 m2) cleared, 10 cultivated and having 3 horses and 115 cattle.
In 1859, Captain Daniel Joyce from New Zealand purchased a 50-acre (200,000 m2) grant from Mallen. (This is the land on which the Hardys Bay R.S.L. is currently located.) Joyce subsequently defaulted on his debt which forced the mortgagees to sell his land in Brisbane Waters which was purchased by Mr Robert Hardy, Farmer.
Access to Hardys Bay and the surrounding peninsular was via ferry until 1936 when the Scenic Road was opened. Electricity arrived in 1939 and town water was connected in 1980.
Share this Post